Sunday, June 14, 2009

Today is ... amazing

I am so thrilled. My neighbour Rob and Rick who cuts my grass, have told me about a visitor I have had on several occasions. I look out the window frequently but have never seen him until today. I was on the phone and I heard Rob knocking on my front door. I went to the den window to talk to him and he told me to get out back - my visitor had returned. I rushed to the bathroom window but he must have heard me or caught a glimpse of me because he rose from the side of the pond in a smooth majestical movement. There was no urgent flapping of wings just one big flap that pushed him through the air like a swimmer that has just pushed off from the side of the pool and smoothly moves through the water.

Yes my visitor is a bird but not just ANY bird. He must be my height from tip of beak to tips of toes and his wingspan is probably about the same. Amazingly enough, I had a Blue Heron inspecting the fish in my pond. I think he may have sampled a few as there seems to be fewer than there were at the beginning but he is welcome to an appetizer now and then - as long as he doesn't get the Koi which I am sure he would like. My neighbour Marcy had better not read this as the fish belong to her father. Her parents are trying to sell their house and they filled in their pond. putting their fish in my pond. All are goldfish save the one Koi. They certainly add colour to the pond and from the air probably look very tasty. :) There is a plastic net to go over the pond but when Rick cleans the filter (every other day) he usually 'forgets' to replace it. I have to then go out and do it and since I am not very sure of foot, I risk falling into the pond - that would be one big shriek and splash.

I must go now as I have to shower and prepare to go out for the afternoon. Just had to share this experience first.

No comments: