Friday, May 21, 2010

Today is a day of ... exhilaration in driving!

Remember when you got your first vehicle? or when you got to borrow dad's for an outing? That excitement at being on the road ... having fun ... not a worry in the world? Well that is what it felt like today when I drove into town. I was without a car for a week and two days and that was enough.

I picked my car up yesterday afternoon. The new clutch feels great. It bucked me a couple of times until I got the feel of it. I have been babying the old one for years! In fact my friend Marj mentioned that in an email I just received from her. She remembered me saying that it was going before she went North - and that was years ago. So we should be good again for a long while. I love my old car and really have no desire for a new one. The great news is that although they had to get some replacement parts for something to do with the mounts for the transmission, the final bill came to just under $1800.00. Yay! I think my wonderful mechanic (owner of the franchise in Kelowna) did some creative accounting. He claims he is bad at adding. :) He does his best to find reasons to give me discounts. I am very grateful to him.

When I got home yesterday I yelled down to Rob and we went out to our local Pub for wings. Thursdays are wing nights. Also Karaoke night so we go early, have our wings and pints of beer, then head home just before the noise begins. Some people sing okay but others .... please ...

I had to give myself a 'shot' this morning. Not the 'shot' I wouldn't mind taking but some anticoagulant in place of the warfarin I was taking. Now being a nurse, I do know how to give needles but really ... is this something that everyone needs to be expected to do for themselves? I remember trying to teach diabetics to give their own insulin. Sometimes took a while before they would actually 'stick' themselves. Anyway, I got that over with first thing this morning and then phoned the hospital to get my O.R. time. I am expected to be at the admitting desk by 6 a.m.! Crap! Noon is more my time! I know, I am just being a crabby old biddy but grrrrr. I DON'T 'DO' MORNINGS! My neighbour Marcy will drop me off. They plan to keep me overnight so she will pick me up the next morning if I don't manage to convince them to let me go earlier. If my surgery is early enough I don't see why I couldn't go home by 3 or 4 p.m.

Well, I must get going here. Rob has a list of stuff we need to buy for our (his) garden projects. He is such a worker. He is building raised gardens. He is finished the one near the house. I is 16 feet long, 3 feet wide and about 2 feet deep. This is to be a kitchen garden so will have herbs, chives, maybe some leaf lettuce and a couple of tomato plants. The other two will be at the end of the yard and will have more tomatoes, some peppers, celery, cucumbers, zucchini, and more. I am excited to use them. The one near the house is right against the patio and he is going to put a board along the tip on one side as a little seat. The whole yard is changing. It is looking awesome. I will take some pictures soon and post them.

No comments: